Liam Hampson: Timeline of young rugby player’s Spain death after he was missing for 30 hours

Details surrounding the final hours and search for Liam Hampson have emerged after the rugby league player tragically died in Spain.

The 24-year-old Queenslander had been missing for more than 30 hours before his body was found on Thursday morning (AEDT) time at the Sala Apolo nightclub in Barcelona.

Police believe the Redcliffe Dolphins player died after he fell from a height of more than 10 metres, because he landed on an internal patio.

Mr Hampson had been partying at the nightclub with a bunch of his fellow rugby-loving mates as they enjoyed their European holiday.

A picture taken by a photographer at Sala Apolo in the early hours of Tuesday morning (local time) shows Mr Hampson smiling in the background while Brisbane Broncos player Jordan Riki kisses a girl on the cheek.

But Mr Hampson went missing around 4.30am, which prompted Mr Riki, fellow Broncos player Jesse Arthars and Gold Coast Titans player AJ Brimson to all send out desperate pleas for help on Instagram as they tried to track down their mate.

The search continued for more than a day until his body was found around noon on Wednesday (local time), with Spanish media reporting it was discovered by Sala Apolo employees.

His body was not found sooner because it was in a part of the club that was not open to the public.

“It was in an internal patio which was not part of the public area of the nightclub,” a policeman told the Daily Mail.

“I don’t know how he would have got into that part of the building but he accessed it and from there fell around 10 metres to an interior patio.

“The fact it wasn’t a public area helps to explain why the workers who raised the alarm didn’t do so until Wednesday lunchtime local time.”

Police have stated they believe Hampson’s death was an accident.

Sala Apolo management said they were “beyond appalled” over what happened and would continue to work with local police.

“These are sad and very painful moments. First of all for all the people who are affected by the unforeseeable accident that occurred in the early hours of Tuesday 18th October in the outdoor area of Apolo venue,” the club said in a statement.

“It’s been sad as well for those of us who are part of the organisation.

“The management and the entire Apolo team are beyond appalled by what happened and we express our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Liam Hampson.

“We have placed ourselves at the disposal of the Mossos d’Esquadra police force and will continue to do so in relation to any matter concerning the fatal accident.”

Hampson’s sister Tiarna shared a heartbreaking Instagram post confirming she had received the “saddest news possible”.

“We are devastated to find out Liam had an accident and did not survive,” she wrote.

“We are so heartbroken. Liam was the best brother I ever could of asked for and made me a better person.

“We cannot express our grief.

“We cannot thank the boys he was travelling with enough for assisting with his search and made sure his last days were the best of his life. Going to miss you so much, Liam.”

Mr Hampson’s father Brett said their entire family was “devastated” and “heartbroken”.

“Waking up to the news no one wants to hear, we are devastated to find out that Liam had an accident and sadly has not survived,” he wrote.

Mr Riki organised a GoFundMe page to help the family repatriate Mr Hampson’s body back to Australia, which raised more than $72,000 in under a day.

“As we all know Liam was a beautiful soul who brought people together with his love, wisdom and jokes,” Mr Riki wrote.

“Liam was an outstanding talent on and off the football field if it was helping his teammates win a nail biting game or educating kids and many others on life and his wisdom.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *