Pregnant mother ‘hours to live’ after Perth shopping centre concrete attack

A pregnant mum has been declared brain dead and has just hours to live after being hit in the head by a piece of concrete in an unprovoked shopping centre attack.

Diane Miller, 30, was critically injured after a piece of concrete was thrown through her car window and struck her in the head outside a Perth shopping centre.

She was immediately knocked unconscious and went into cardiac arrest, with her family revealing the pregnant mother and her unborn child are “unlikely to survive”.

This morning doctors reportedly gave Ms Miller just hours to live after she was declared brain dead, according to Nine News.

She remains in ICU at Royal Perth Hospital.

Want to stream your news? Flash lets you stream 25+ news channels in 1 place. New to Flash? Try 1 month free. Offer available for a limited time only >

Speaking to reporters outside the hospital, Ms Miller’s brother, Malcolm Clifton, gave harrowing new details into how the alleged attack unfolded.

“All I heard is there was an argument, and my sister told them to go away, and as they drove off, someone threw a brick through the window,” he said.

“She didn’t even see it coming. It hit her straight in the temple.

“We are destroyed, we want these people whoever they are, brought to justice, we want what’s deserved.”

Ms Miller was sitting in car outside of Waterford Plaza on Tuesday night when the incident occurred.

Police say her partner, who was driving the car Ms Miller was in, became involved in an altercation between two groups of teens.

A relative told reporters that the teens were blocking the car when the confrontation broke out.

A 17-year-old boy is accused of throwing a piece of concrete through the open front passenger-side window and hitting Ms Miller in the head.

Police officers and members of the public performed CPR on the woman until paramedics arrived and transported her to Royal Perth Hospital.

The teenager has been charged with grievous bodily harm and breaching bail.

Inspector Brett Baddock said the woman was five months’ pregnant and the baby was also fighting for life.

“We have some concerns for both her safety and also the baby,” he told reporters.

“The parties were not known to each other.

“I put it down to quite simply (allegedly) senseless, unprovoked violence, which is unacceptable, and we won’t tolerate it.”

Ms Miller’s brother said her family were warned by hospital staff that her condition was likely going to get worse.

“Her brain is swollen, it’s swollen too much,” Mr Clifton said.

“They’re going to keep monitoring her brain, if it keeps swelling it’s going to stop the blood going to her brain.

“She’s going to end up brain dead and once that happens, she’ll be dead and the baby will die.

“The baby’s too young to come out.”

Mr Clifton said his sister’s eight month old son, Lloyde, was “going to grow up without his mum now”.

“They were close as, he was always with her,” he said.

He told reporters Ms Miller was due to find out the gender of her second child next week.

Mr Clifton said she was just starting to get her life back on track.

“She just got on her feet, she just got a house, everything was working out for her and now everything is gone.”

The 17-year-old accused appeared in Perth Children’s Court yesterday and was remanded in custody.

Inspector Baddock said other people involved in the alleged altercation may also be charged.

Police said their investigation was ongoing and detectives urged anyone who saw the incident, or who has footage of it, to contact Crime Stoppers.

Read related topics:Perth

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *