A former Young Socceroo player and cult favourite is facing a new legal battle after an alleged dispute in one of Sydney’s most idyllic harbourside suburbs.
Police have applied to issue a warrant for the arrest of Kerem Bulut, 30, a matter that was adjourned when he failed to appear in Sydney Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday.
The former star striker for the Western Sydney Wanderers is facing two counts of intimidation in the most recent raft of charges since his troubles with the law ended a promising football career.
Police allege the 30-year-old intimidated two people in Woolloomooloo at 10pm on June 6 with the intention of causing them harm.
Widely considered one of Australia’s brightest talents, Mr Bulut was selected to play for Australia’s national youth team from 2008 to 2012.
The award-winning soccer player went on to score two goals during his debut for the Wanderers in 2015. His career was interrupted by a four-year playing ban after a drug test returned a positive result.
On Wednesday, the court was told that Mr Bulut was facing two charges of intimidation and a police application to detain him.
Police documents tendered to the court stated Mr Bulut had “an extensive history” that includes 10 charges of breaching his bail conditions and a past warrant for failing to appear in court.
Magistrate Gareth Christofi noted Mr Bulut had entered not guilty pleas to the two intimidation charges.
The court was told a hearing date of January 27, 2023, had been allocated for the former soccer star to fight the charges.
Mr Christofi adjourned the matter until December 14 to confirm the hearing date for the new year.
The new charges come only months after the former soccer star pleaded guilty to assaulting his friend at a gaming lounge in Brighton-Le-Sands two years ago.
Documents previously tendered to the court reveal Mr Bulut continues to struggle with drug addiction.