Maisie Nugent: Sydney house party raided by police leads to charge

A woman accused of assaulting a police officer at a house party, where police were filmed shoving people to the ground, has faced court for the first time.

Maisie Nugent appeared at Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday after she was charged with two counts of assaulting police in the execution of duty.

The 21-year-old had been attending a party in Riley St, Surry Hills on the morning of November 6 when police allegedly stormed the event.

Sophie Teo, the daughter of renowned brain surgeon Charlie Teo, was at the event and posted footage of the incident to her Instagram, claiming the Raptor Squad was called and were “kicking and breaking the ribs of innocent people”.

She claimed the party was contained inside the backyard and no one had “instigated any conflict with cops”.

Ms Teo shared a series of posts detailing the police raid, claiming the police were called “for the most relaxed party”.

She accused the police of “violence”, saying they were abusing their power when breaking up the party.

“These are our so called ‘protectors’. Yet, I’ve never felt more unsafe and traumatised in my whole life.”

She said the officers raided all the bedrooms in the home in order to seize audio equipment and caused damage in the process.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by Ms Teo and she has not been charged.

According to court documents seen exclusively by NCA NewsWire, Ms Nugent is accused of assaulting two constables as they raided the party between 12.21am and 12.30am.

Ms Nugent, who lives in the inner-city suburb of Darlinghurst, was arrested and charged minutes later.

She faced court on Thursday, where a solicitor from Legal Aid said she would be pleading to the charge when she fronts court again in two weeks.

The 21-year-old also had her bail restrictions varied to allow her to be able to drink alcohol.

Magistrate David Price granted the variation, as there was “no suggestion alcohol was involved in the offences”.

NSW Police said they were called to the Surry Hills home at about 8.30pm on November 5 after receiving several noise complaints from the nearby area.

Officers allegedly spoke to an occupant of the home who was “uncooperative”.

They later spoke to a 26-year-old man at about 10.20pm and issued a formal direction.

“The occupant refused to comply with a noise abatement direction,” a NSW Police spokesman said at the time.

According to a partygoer who posted footage of the melee online, officers “kicked the front door in”. They claimed there were 40 people in the backyard of the home watching a movie, with music also being played.

When the gathering was told to turn the music down at 10.15pm, someone told police they would shut it off at 12am “which is within our right”.

According to the post on Reddit, police said they would be back with a warrant.

The music was turned off at 11.55pm but police returned to the home shortly after midnight.

Under the time restrictions enforced in the City of Sydney, musical instruments, radios, sound systems, and public address systems are restricted between midnight and 8am on Fridays and Saturdays.

However, a police officer may issue a noise abatement direction where it appears offensive noise is being emitted from premises.

NSW Police provided a different version of events, saying specialist units including Strike Force Odin officers, the Raptor Squad and the Public Order and Riot Squad attended the home about 12.20am Sunday to execute a warrant to investigate the noise.

Police claim occupants began throwing glass bottles and ice at officers, with some attempting to block them from entering.

“About 50 people inside the home were directed to leave the area, with a number of attendees attempting to hinder police,” NSW Police said.

“OC spray was deployed by an officer to disperse the crowd, who continued to resist police direction. The group eventually dispersed.”

NSW Police confirmed they seized electronic equipment “as permitted through the warrant”.

Ms Nugent was arrested, as well as a 21-year-old man who was charged with hindering police in execution of duty. He will face court on December 15.

Read related topics:Sydney

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *