The Queen reportedly tried to get Prince Harry and his father on speaking terms in her final months after Prince Charles stopped taking his phone calls begging for money.
Harry, 37, is said to have “bombarded” his grandmother with calls when she was put on light duties due to her worsening mobility, multiple sources have told The Sun.
Her Majesty — who stepped back from major duties leaving Charles to take on running most affairs after the death of her husband Prince Philip last year — was unable and unwilling to deal with Harry’s requests, it is claimed.
When she asked Charles, 74, why he was accepting emails and not phone calls from Harry, Charles is said to have replied: “Because I am not a bank.”
An insider revealed: “The late Queen was always happy to speak with Harry but when he asked for money she said, ‘Why don’t you speak to your father?’ Harry told her that Charles wasn’t taking his calls any more.
“Charles insisted that his son must email him instead. Members of the family, including William, had stopped speaking to Harry when they learned of his book deal, fearing what they said could end up in print.
“Harry is not as well off as people are led to believe. He was wanting money. When the Queen asked Charles what he was doing about it because she was fielding so many calls, he told her, ‘I’m not a bank’.”
The Sun understands Charles, then Prince of Wales, asked his son to put in requests via email through his personal assistant.
The Queen died in Balmoral on September 8, aged 96.
Charles and Harry were pictured together in an official capacity for the first time in years at her funeral on September 19.
Harry and Meghan became financially independent after quitting royal duty to live in the US, where they struck multimillion-dollar deals with Netflix and Spotify.
Harry also got an advance of $31 million for his memoir Spare which is out on January 10, as part of a $63 million four-book deal.
He also supposedly has a job as a Chief Impact Officer for Silicon Valley firm Better Up.
The Duke first opened up about strained relations with his father in the Sussexes infamous Oprah Winfrey interview in March 2020, claiming he had “literally been cut off financially”.
This is despite palace financial records showing his dad giving him $3.6 million in the 2020/21 financial year.
But the latest papers show Charles paid no money from the Duchy of Cornwall funds in the past year.
Now he is King, he has access to vast sums of money via the Duchy of Lancaster private estate, while William holds the purse strings to the Duchy of Cornwall.
But Harry and Meghan have spiralling costs including paying security guards, honouring their $9.5 million mortgage in Montecito and a preference for private jets.
Speaking in March, Harry claimed on US breakfast TV he regularly spoke to his grandmother.
“We have a really special relationship. We talk about things that she can’t talk about with anybody else,” he said.
It comes after the royals were rocked this week when Netflix released a 60-second trailer for the couple’s six-part docuseries called Harry & Meghan.
Insiders believe the trailer was deliberately aired to sabotage the Prince and Princess of Wales’s three-day trip to Boston this week.
This story originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission