Family mourns after schoolboy Calvin Wijeweera killed in crash

A grieving sister has revealed the heartbreaking moment she discovered her 17-year-old brother was killed in a horror accident.

Calvin Wijeweera was walking from school in Carlingford in Sydney’s northwest on Thursday, when a car driven by a 90-year-old woman mounted the gutter and veered into the Year 12 student.

Emergency services rushed to the scene and found the boy pinned underneath the vehicle.

His older sister Ovindi Wijeweera was in Singapore when she called Westmead Hospital but was told they “don’t have a patient called Calvin Wijeweera here”, according to 9 News.

“I was confused,” she said.

“I asked my mum, they’re saying my brother is the hospital and my dad said ‘no one wants me to tell you this but he has passed away’.”

On the flight home, Ovindi kept thinking: “I’m just dreaming (and) this isn’t really happening.”

“I’ll miss him so much because I won’t be able to share anything with him anymore,” she said.

Ovindi described her relationship with her younger brother as “really close” as she doesn’t “have any other siblings except for him”.

“Whenever I’d turn a corner I’d see him sitting at the dining table because he would study on the table,” she said.

The teenager has been remembered by his family and school friends as a bright student who dreamt of becoming an aeronautical engineer.

Calvin was accompanied by two other schoolmates who both survived the accident, with one taken to Westmead hospital after sustaining a head injury.

NSW Detective Inspector Jason Hogan described the incident as “harrowing” and “traumatic”.

“It was very traumatic for the first responding police officers and the ambulance that rendered first aid to both 17-year-old boys,” Mr Hogan said.

“It’s very harrowing when they turn up to situations like that. It is very distressing for the local community, the school and the family. “

“Unfortunately, a very, very tragic situation and at this time of the year it is going to be really, really detrimental to the [boy’s] family and friends.”

An investigation is ongoing as NSW police are yet to interview the 90-year-old woman behind the wheel from Epping.

Read related topics:Sydney

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *